Check out this job opening at the Somerville Community Growing Center! They’re looking for someone to be their Volunteer Coordinator – a perfect project for Somerville Residents wanting to get outside in nature, have a place to garden, and meet awesome people. You can view the pdf by clicking here.
The Friends of the Community Growing Center seek a committed local resident for a contract position of Volunteer Coordinator from April 2012 to December 2012, open for annual renewal. We are grateful to Aileen Bellwood for all the energy and enthusiasm she has brought to this position in recent years. She will be passing on a strong legacy–and we are relieved that she and her family will stay actively involved!
Contract terms are dependent on experience, equivalent of $14-18/hour, for approximate average of 8hrs/wk over key active months of April through October, less other months. Hours to be set by consultant, but will require some weekends and evenings. Payment on quarterly schedule. Communicates with Executive Committee of the Friends group. Please send letters of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will start in April, until position filled. (Current consultant will be available to support transition.)
The Friends of the Community Growing Center is the volunteer group that supports the planning, maintenance and funding needs of the city owned garden/park space at 22 Vinal Avenue in Somerville, MA. Volunteers are the key resource of this dynamic community resource, helping to implement a wide range of activities and events each season.
-Strong communication skills-written, oral, visual
-Strong organizational skills, including electronic documentation (such as Excel, database management)
-Demonstrated volunteer experience, coordination of volunteers and/or development of volunteer base, preferably community-based.
-Experience working with range of ages and cultures, children to seniors
-2nd language and/or demonstrated experience working with Somerville’s cultural populations
-Experience with gardening and/or physical space management
-Personal experience with the Growing Center or demonstrated relevant experience
-Familiarity with Somerville social infrastructure, with ties to sectors such as child serving organizations, food production/gardening, media/outreach, environmental/sustainability community or other relevant groups
Key areas of responsibility :
· Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with full range of responsibilities, including these listed under coordinator, at coordinator’s discretion
· Organize volunteer trainings throughout active year
· Maintain database of volunteers and individuals interested in SCGC activities
· Organize and Manage Volunteer Teams
· Maintain or update, as needed, forms for tracking and updating database
· Communicate needs for and of volunteers to FCGC Board
· Updating of Web calendar, Facebook, etc for social media communications
· Create e-newsletter, approx. 8-10/yr, to communicate with volunteers and keep public informed of opportunities and offerings
· Manage promotion of events and programs
· Site visits to review space ready and safe for programs/events, update needs for volunteers, and provide supports for volunteers